Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Natural Path of A Martial Artist

Sabeomnim Jerry Glover with Grandmaster Kim Soo.

The Natural Path of A Martial Artist

By Sabeomnim Jerry Glover (Conroe Chayon-Ryu)

From birth, a martial artist is already on the natural path of greatness. We learn to breath, focus, yell, and move our body. Later we learn to use our hands and feet, ride a bike, etc.. 
We must take everything slow and one step at a time. We can not learn everything in one lesson or over night. If we learn too fast, we may miss some very important steps that can make our lives easier.
3rd degree black belt in Chayon-Ryu.

I have to admit when I first join martial arts in 1988 at the age of 14, I thought I would learn everything I needed in one lesson. I noticed at white belt level, I only knew enough to get hurt. I made a mistake of going to school to face my bully thinking I knew everything. Instead, it made things worse. That made me want to learn everything about martial arts I could. I never wanted to miss a class and fell in love with Chayon-Ryu. That is when I decided I wanted to be a black belt.

I have seen many students who also wanted a black belt but wanted it quick. They would rush each belt level as they raced other students to get promoted. I didn't want that kind of black belt. I wanted to be able to remember all my requirements as I was promoted each rank. I didn't want to reach black belt and only remember my 1st brown belt requirements. I call that belt chasing. Most students who do that normally only get half way before quitting because they are always playing catch up and can't remember anything.

I have also seen students who reach black belt level then quit training. I can't understand why someone would go all that way and just drop. Once students quit training, they lose everything they learned. They soon forget everything. As Grandmaster Kim Soo teaches us, there is no graduation or retirement. Chayon-Ryu is a lifestyle martial arts that should be practiced for life.
Students must set goals towards each rank destination, then take it slow and collect all the wonderful
treasures along the long natural path. The natural path has no end. "Practice, practice, practice" says Grandmaster Kim Soo "That is your key to success."

Mr. Jerry Glover is the chief instructor for Conroe Chayon-Ryu Martial Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment