Friday, August 7, 2020

Master Joseph Sullins Interview: by Sabeomnim Alberto Borjas

Interview:Master Joseph Sullins by Saboemnim Alberto Borjas

      Master Joseph Sullins is a lifelong martial artist and a Chayon- Ryu student since 1990. He has been fighting illnesses for more than one decade. After a successful liver transplant in 2019 he is back training Chayon- Ryu at the Headquarters Dojang under the guidance of Master Sean Kim and Grandmaster Kim Soo. Master Sullins graciously accepted to sit with me to talk about his martial arts life to the Chayon Ryu students.

Sabeom Alberto Borjas: Master Sullins. First of all I am very glad to see you back in training here at Dojang and I would like to thank you for the opportunity of talking with you. Can you tell us about your martial arts life?  When did you start training?

Master Joseph Sullins: First, I would like to thank the Chayon- Ryu family for all the personal and financial support. Without it my life would been rougher. Now I’m back training. Thank you!

I began training in 1964 in Shotokan Karate at Downtown YMCA, Shreveport, La. I trained there until I went to College. After College I trained under Master Moon in Irving, TX and under Master Kyu Bong Yim in Dallas, TX. Those were sport oriented schools. Then I was transferred to Houston. I had been looking for two years trying to find a school when I saw the Chayon- Ryu headquarters and I pulled in. That was June 1990. I have been a Chayon-Ryu student ever since.

SAB: When did you receive your Black Belt?

MJS: I received my Black Belt in 1994.

SAB: Master Sullins, can you talk to us about your experiences in Chayon-Ryu?

MJS: I have always protected Chayon-Ryu everywhere I went. I had a teaching opportunity at Camp Lejeune, which required proof of martial arts experience. During my time at San Antonio School I had to prove the Chayon-Ryu dominance.

SAB: Have you experience any benefits from Chayon-Ryu training? 

MJS: I owe everything to Chayon-Ryu. It has taught me control and calmness. I use my Chayon-Ryu skills on a daily basis. Chayon- Ryu gave me the strength to fight and beat 14 years of illnesses. Because of my knowledge of Chayon-Ryu principles I could go to train to any martial art school. I do recommend Chayon- Ryu training to anyone. Chayon- Ryu is the best!

SAB: Master Sullins can you tell us about your illnesses and how you were able to overcome them and come back to train Chayon-Ryu?

MJS: In 2007 I was diagnosed with hepatitis C. I spent 4 years giving myself stomach injections weekly. Once I was cure of Hepatitis I was diagnosed with Cirrhosis. I have been fighting nausea and vomiting every day. That has been going on for 13 years. I was 215 pound and went down to 150.  I could not made it without Chayon-Ryu training and support. In the summer of 2019 my son offered to share his liver with me. I had the transplant at the University Transplant Hospital. The surgery was a success. My son is back to work and I back training Chayon- Ryu! I am now in 185 pounds.

SAB: It has been indeed a rough time Master Sullins, your story is the great inspiration for all Chayon- Ryu students. Would you like to say anything to the Chayon-Ryu students?

MJS: The main thing is to train with humility and sincerity.  Know the basic principles of Chayon-Ryu and apply them to every motion. Use proper breathing, balance, proper body shifting and train, train, train!

SAB: Thank you Master Sullins for sharing your inspirational story with us.  We hope you continue healthy and training Chayon-Ryu for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment